Why on-site medical interpreting is preferable to telephonic (telephonic is best as back-up):
- Accuracy and completeness. An on-site interpreter sees visual cues and recognizes the importance of non-verbal cues. There is no problem with sound interference.
- Local languages and dialects.
- Extra reassurance for the patient/client.
- Patient/client has time to ask questions and clarify treatment plan per special instructions.
- Medical interpreter can write and use graphics to explain medicines.
- Cost effective if interpretation is longer than 15 minutes and could reduce follow-up session.
- Increases provider confidence.
- Patient/client/provider satisfaction.