* Check this website for information on MAMI’s next Forum.
MAMI FORUM #1 (DOWNLOADABLE DOCUMENTS)
Below are important articles you may want to download. They provide critical information which may help you understand better the value of using highly trained interpreters.
MAMI Forum #2 (Panel on Bridging Language & Culture Gaps)
In late 2014, MAMI hosted a major event for the Central New York area focusing on the importance of using highly trained interpreters. It was entitled: The RIGHT to Understand: Bridging Language & Culture Gaps in Healthcare.
Such questions were addressed: How do quality interpreters impact the welfare of our refugees? How do interpreters help providers reduce errors and improve outcomes? Issues they confronted included the communication challenges facing providers, refugees and immigrants.
Among the nationally recognized expert panel were:
- Dr. Eric Hardt, Boston Medical Center — Medical interpreting — problems and solutions.
- Cindy Hendrickson, Legal Aid Society of Mid-York — Civil rights and new Americans.
- Dr. Glenn Flores, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center — The impact of interpreter quality.
- Natalya Mytareva, CCHI Managing Director — Interpreter Certification: Implementing a standard
This forum was made possible thanks to the following generous funders:
Dean of Faculty Office – Victor Johnson Fund, Hamilton College
Days-Massolo Center, Hamilton College
Hamilton College COOP
Scalzo, Zogby & Wittig Insurance, New Hartford, NY
Hamilton College Anthropology Department